Tuition and Fees
Because IIW is a University of Illinois program, program tuition is the same as regular campus tuition. Your student account will be billed for tuition, fees and housing. You can pay that account off in the manner you would ordinarily pay amounts charged to your student account. You can apply for the same financial aid as you if you were taking courses on the main campus.
While in IIW, you will not be assessed most on-campus student fees. Only the General Fee and, if applicable, the Health Insurance Fee, will be applied to IIW students. Students will also pay a $1500 IIW program fee. You can access up-to-date information on tuition and student fee rates here.
Housing and Living Expenses
Housing and living expenses are higher than on campus, given the higher cost of living in Washington, D.C. Housing is typically located in shared apartments or a group house provided by WIHN. Currently, students live together in shared apartments on Capitol Hill within easy walking distance from Congress, Union Station and the subway. Housing costs are roughly $4500 per semester and $3850 for the summer.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
If you are currently receiving financial aid, you may apply for additional loan amounts to cover the costs of IIW participation. IIW can provide you with a budget to submit to financial aid. If you have any questions about how your financial aid may work with this program, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid. The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Department of Political Science has scholarships available for continuing students, including several that are specific to off-campus activities such as internships.
- Tuition: the same tuition as main campus enrollment
- Fees: the General Fee, a $1500 IIW Program Fee, and (when applicable) the Health Insurance Fee
- WIHN housing: Rent is roughly $4500 per semester in the fall and spring, and $3850 in the summer. Participants also pay a $400 security deposit, which will be refunded to you if you leave your apartment in good repair and return your apartment key.
- Airfare: $200-500
- Meals: $700 to $2400
- Books and supplies: $50
- Local transportation: $250-$500
- Personal expenses: $200 to $1500