Fall Semester: April 15
Spring Semester: October 1
Summer Session: February 15
[Note: Students are encouraged to apply for early decision. Just submit your materials by one of the deadlines and specify the future term you are applying for. Applying early will give you more time to plan your internship search and get ready to experience everything Washington, D.C. has to offer.]
To be eligible to participate in IIW, students must:
- be an undergraduate student of any major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- be a full-time student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- have completed at least 45 credits prior to participating in IIW (not prior to applying);
- have at least one year in residence at an institution of higher learning;
- have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of no less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; and
- have a basic understanding of the institutional environment where you seek to intern. For example, by taking classes of being engaged in volunteer work of students organizations that relate to what you are hoping to do in D.C.
You will need the following to complete your IIW application:
- A current resume.
- Some form of evidence from the Career Center stating that your resume has been reviewed by someone on their staff. (This can take the form of a written letter, an email, a screenshot of a Zoom meeting, or a copy of your resume with annotations. It does not need to be a formal letter if you are unable to obtain one.)
- A three- to five-page writing sample from one of your classes at the U of I (graded, if possible).
- Two recommendations, either two from professors/instructors or one from a professor/instructor and one from an employer, a public official, or a community contact. Recommenders will automatically receive a short recommendation form to complete once you have submitted your application.
- A DARS Report (degree audit report) or academic history. Information on how to accesses the DARS system is available in the online application.