Complete and submit all materials with our online application. Below are the requirements to participate in the program:
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign undergraduates of any major;
- Full-time enrollment in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- Completion of 45 credits and at least one year in residence at an institution of higher learning;
- A cumulative grade point average no less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; and
- Basic understanding of the institutional environment where you seek to intern: for example, by taking classes or being engaged in volunteer work or student clubs that relate to what you are hoping to do in DC.
Students can choose to participate in IIW in fall (applications due April 15), spring (October 1) or summer (February 1). Students are encouraged to apply for early decision, just submit your materials on one of the due dates and specify the future term you are applying for. Applying early will give you more time to plan your internship search and get ready to experience everything Washington, DC has to offer.
You will need the following to complete your application:
- A current resume;
- A note from the Career Center stating that your resume has been reviewed by someone on their staff.
- A three- to five-page writing sample from one of your classes at the U of I (graded, if possible);
- Two letters of recommendation, either two from professors/instructors or one from a professor/instructor and one from an employer, a public official, or a community contact. Applicants can include signed and sealed letters of recommendation with their application, or recommenders can submit them directly through the application form or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- A DARS Report or academic history, information on how to accesses the DARS system is available in the online application.